Sunday, October 7, 2012

Credibility Factor Limited-When a Political Thug Recasts Himself as a Bi-Partisan

Some years ago, I was sitting in the dark on a ledge of a windowsill outside the Ellensburg Public Library talking with Debbie Strand, who was then the Executive Director of the Kittitas County Economic Development Group.  I had known Debbie only in her professional capacity, who was, at the time, actively working with the wind farm developers who were facing huge opposition from a coalition of groups and individuals eager to preserve and promote residential development in Kittitas County's wildlands.  Much to my surprise and shock that evening, a man walked up and without any acknowledgement of my presence, and began to verbally threaten Ms. Strand's job if she did not get control of the Development group's board, specifically, Desmond Knudson, a board member and local business owner, who was at the time engaged in a lawsuit to remove the Kittitas County Board of Commissioners.

Ms. Strand, kindly, wisely and diplomatically, I think on behalf of Mr. Manweller, pointedly interrupted him and introduced me to Matt Manweller. 

This is how I first met Matt who was at that time chair of the Republican Party.  My impression at the time of a person that would make such threats in the dark without regard to who might be listening was that he was a thug.  I think he was fortunate that the person he addressed these threatening and bullying remarks to was the long suffering Ms. Strand who very patiently put up with this incident and even covered his back a little bit.

This first impression was indelible and continuing.  It was amplified when Matt was filmed calling a protester stupid (you can easily find the links to this video on the web).  It was further solidified, while pandering to a Tea Party crowd, he called public employees generational parasites (this video also easily found on the web).  Finally, there is the infamous radio show incident involving the parking lot brawl, and its precedent and subsequent messaging by Matt, which was nothing but a display of the worst kind of partisanship.

However, I can also see that there is a new Matt who is now trying to put "his baggage" behind him and emerge as a bi-partisan.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of baggage to tow.

I understand that it is easy to dismiss me as a partisan due to my current involvement in the Democratic Party as the Kittitas County Chair.  However, as a very moderate Democrat, who was self described at the time of my election to my current political role as being 51% Democrat and 49% Republican, I really do have a problem with Matt now trying to present himself as a bi-partisan given what I have witnessed as a resident of Kittitas County for many years.  As a business person,  I also have sincere and serious concerns for those of you in the agricultural and business communities of all three counties he might be representing and whether concerns across the entire spectrum of business activity in our counties will be heard rather than just those segments of the business community Matt has traditionally associated himself with. 

As a former non-profit board member, I am still appalled at the suggestion he made that an executive director of a non-profit board should control the board members.  As most of us who have served in such capacities understand, the board is, at least in theory, supposed to direct the the executive. 

I hope my story is something those of you serving on port district boards, economic development boards, and other non-profits throughout the 13th Legislature District will take to heart and ponder as you cast your vote in a few days.  There is an alternative to Matt Manweller in Kaj Selmann.  I urge you to call Kaj, talk to him and think about who can best deal with the entire spectrum of business interests in our district, including who would be best suited by temperament and track record in situations where various segments of the business community have conflicting interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment