Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2011 Kittitas County Democratic Party Chair Theresa Petrey

I am Theresa Petrey and I am the new Kittitas County Democratic Party Chair.  My term will begin in 2011.  I feel both honored and humbled to serve in this position.  Several years ago, having proudly voted independent for a number of years, I decided that it was time to affiliate with a political party.  This was not an easy decision to make as I had previously registered in California as a Republican, a Democrat, and a Libertarian.  When I moved to Kittitas County, I became impressed by the caliber of the candidates who ran for office locally as Democrats and began to attend a few party meetings.  As I've settled in here, I have found a home in this party even with my moderate views.

Unlike our local Republican counterparts, we Kittitas County Democrats tend to be a loosely organized bunch and we are, rightly or wrongly, rather proud of that fact. Much to my great surprise, I am following in the footsteps of Jim Cole, who stepped up to be the party chair when no one else would six years ago.  At the outset, I know that I cannot fill Jim's shoes, but I do believe that I can bring a different set of strengths and experience to this position that are much needed.  Improving our local party's online presence is something I can assist with and this blog is the first step in that direction.  Other things I look forward to being involved in are recruiting new PCO's where there are openings, building the party infrastructure and putting on several great fundraising events.

No comments:

Post a Comment